Poster House First Friday
Poster House, the first museum in the United States dedicated to the global history of posters, will host its monthly “First Friday” event December 1, 2023 from 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM at Poster House, 119 West 23rd Street in Manhattan. On the first Friday of every month, Poster House offers free admission and extended hours for guests to come explore the museum’s latest exhibitions. The two main exhibitions currently on display for the fall season are Art Deco: Commercializing the Avant-Garde and We Tried to Warn You! Environmental Crisis Posters, 1970-2020. Both exhibits will be open through February 25, 2024.
Every First Friday is different, offering unique opportunities such as tours, workshops, performances, and activities, to further engage visitors with the exhibitions. First Friday Activities for December 1st include:
- 3:00 PM: Billion Oyster Project Presentation
Learn about Billion Oyster Project‘s vision of a future in which New York Harbor is the center of a rich, diverse, and abundant estuary from Public Outreach Manager Agata Poniatowski. The communities that surround this complex ecosystem have helped construct it, and in return benefit from it, with endless opportunities for work, education, and recreation. The harbor is a world-class public space, well used and well cared for—our Commons. Billion Oyster Project hopes to restore one billion oysters by the year 2035 through public education initiatives working to involve one million people!
- 4:00 PM: Join Poster House Guest Curator Tim Medland for a drop-in tour of We Tried to Warn You: Environmental Crisis Posters, 1970–2020. Explore the global history of environmental activism through graphic design. Questions are strongly encouraged!
- 5:00 PM: Poster House is thrilled to welcome Finnegan Shannon and Bojana Coklyat as they lead visitors through a workshop on how to reframe alt text (short, written descriptions of images) as a type of poetry. Inspired by posters from the museum’s collection, visitors will practice writing, discussing, and reframing this type of accessible writing. An ASL interpreter and assistive listening devices will be provided.
- 6:30 PM: Poster House is pleased to welcome artist Max Colby for a nontraditional collage workshop. Inspired by We Tried to Warn You: Environmental Crisis Posters, 1970–2020, guests will use recycled supplies from Materials For The Arts to create experimental textural collages. No previous experience required.
- 7:00 PM: Celebrate Art Deco: Commercializing the Avant-Garde with a performance by Gatsby Entertainment, New York’s premiere Jazz-Age dance troupe. Enjoy the hottest dances of the 1920s performed by expert dancers in full period costume.